This blog post has been in the making for several years. I have cooked it, shot the cooking process, but never got around to a final shot because well, my stomach happened. One of the challenges of been a food content creator and recipe developer is that especially for blog posts (not commissioned assignments, the prop is your meal. If you happen to be developing content with the said prop while hungry, let’s just say the end is obvious.
This time I managed to restrain myself. And only because I was fasting while blogging. I guess that is the secret. I love these so much and I really love to make them fresh. Several years ago I invested in cute and very useful handheld tostones presser which makes the perfect, uniformed tostones. The traditional way to make these in Jamaica is to cut them bigger, fry them and then press them in between the skins of the green plantains. This way is so much better and yields a nice crispy tostones, which is the perfect bed for all sorts of toppings.
How to Make Tostones (Jamaican Pressed Green Plantain)
You can serve them as is with a bit of salt sprinkled on top or as a side for other dishes. We often have them for breakfast in Jamaica but my presentation elevates them to swanky party food, as they are the perfect canapés when entertaining at home.
First things first, you want to buy very green plantains, not ripened ones. If some of them have just barely started to turn a slight yellow, that is also OK.
I usually use this Jamaican Tomato & Saltfish Salad as a topping for mine. But tomorrow I am going to post a brand new ground-breaking topping coming out of my Chef and Steward Test Kitchen.
- 1 green plantain per person
- oil for frying
- Peel green plantain
- Slice into rounds slightly thicker than 1/2 inch
- Heat pan. Add oil to hot pan.
- On media heat, lightly fry on each side until golden brown and crispy
- Remove from pan and put on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels
- Smash each in the tostones presser or between the skins of the green plantain.
- Refry on each side until crispy
- Remove from pan and put on a plate lined with a fresh set of layers of paper towels
- If not eating with a salty side, sprinkle with salt. Otherwise, hold the salt!
- Serve and eat!
WANT TO SUPPORT MY MISSION?
Join me on my mission to enrich and enhance people’s lives through food, lifestyle and coaching!
Share this post and shop until you drop in my Amazon Influencer store. Or you can become a monthly patron. I want to be able to help and reach as many people as possible and your support is invaluable.