If you are into rugby, you already know what time it is. If you are not, my dear, it is Rugby World Cup time. Whereas American Football is huge in America, the original Bristish sport of Rugby is big on this side of the world. Rugby is the original game that led to American Football, which is often joked about in these parts because of the use of heavy protective gear, whereas Rugby players really often take “one for the team” without any such gear. So, as our American friends cosy up and tailgate for their favourite quarterback, we over here will be getting excited about the hakas of the All Blacks.
Since I received a huge package of brand-new-to-Dubai Zespri Gold Kiwis on our Challenge Day 2, it was a no-brainer that I had to do something fun with them.
So, I got to peeling, took out my flour, turned on my oven, grabbed some nuts, a can of chickpeas, carrots, chicken legs and decided to create a meal worthy of a lean, mean, rugby-loving machine. That would be you! Why? Because it is the ultimate man’s sport and with all that machismo and fitness on display, it is also a sight for sore lady eyes 🙂
This tailgating menu is very masculine, but has chic elements that will make every woman happy to create it for her main squeeze or for a few guy friends. Enjoy the game!
Golden Kiwi Tart Recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 6 Zespri Gold Kiwifruit
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (400° F)
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar and cut in the butter, until the mixture is crumbly. Combine the beaten egg, vanilla and milk and stir into the flour mixture to make a dough. Pat this out into a greased 23 cm (9 in) tart/quiche dish.
3. Peel and slice the ZESPRI® Kiwifruit and arrange in circles on the dough. Drizzle the melted butter over the fruit and top with the brown sugar. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes
4. Serve hot with cream and a scoop of ‘Golden ZESPRI® Ice Cream’
giveaway for challenge winner
We have a fitting giveaway for the Fresh Mystery Basket Challenge! They sent us a box of kiwis and some other fun items in a reusable shopping bag. It’s got everything from kiwi containers and lunch boxes to spifes, to balloon, erasers and a frisbee for kids as well as cute kiwi speakers! What are spifes? These are a New Zealand invention used to cut and eat a kiwi that is a cross between a knife and a spoon. The spife has also gained popularity in the culinary world outside of NZ.